Doctor Who

Watched a good movie?
ruth1998
Living room

Doctor Who

Post by ruth1998 »

I know it's not a movie, but My husband and I are hooked on this BBC series!!!! I was never really that entertained by the old ones, but that may have been because my Dad always watched them ;)

Every episode is a brand new plot, it NEVER gets boring. Russel T. Davies(the writer), is amazing! I've never guessed how one episode would end, THAT"S how good the writing is. Not low budget as the older ones were either. It is a diamond in the landfill, to find such talent! So refreshing.

Anyone ever get into Doctor Who at all?

-T
-You can''t stop my heart from turning inside out.

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Doctor Who

Post by sound world »

Erm,I first got into Doctor Who approximately 45 years ago when the first ever episode was shown. :I
One thing I will never forget is that one family wrote in to the BBC saying that they had missed the first episode and would the Beeb kindly show it again?...and amazingly, they did, the following Saturday. Can you believe that? What is the likelihood of that happening now?
Actually, although I watched Dr.Who through most of my childhood and teens,and did plenty of hiding behind the sofa,I think now that a lot of it was decidedly patchy.The era with the Brigadier was particularly boring.Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide) wrote some of the episodes later on,which were some of the best.But I was never a huge fan.The music was always the best thing about it.
I stopped watching it somewhere amid the Tom Baker era and started again when it was relaunched four or five years back,when my son was hooked for a while. The new ones are far slicker,with,yes, far better plotlines and characters-maybe at the expense of some amateurish 60s charm? and the music has been modernised,IMHO losing the impact and originality of the 60s scores made by the astonishing BBC Radiophonic Workshop.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Watching Dr Who is a very early memory for me.....I must have been four,coming up to five when it started. My favourite era was the Patrick Troughton years (i've even got an autographed photo of Patrick as Dr Who) but I gradually lost interest during the time Jon Pertwee played the good doctor. Not that it was his fault, it was just that particular incarnation of Dr Who was earth-bound and you never saw the TARDIS and basically I lost interest. I have seen the more recent series and they are top quality high production value shows but i don't think they have the charm of the sixties episodes.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Spot on,RobB. It was the earthbound episodes that were so dull-all that bollocks with Lethbridge-Stewart and The Master (who has been revived lately in a distinctly more youthful,sinister and protean guise,I see).
Actually I think I nodded off during Jon Pertwee-I watched some of the Tom Baker episodes because I was by then 18 or so and he had a particularly fit sidekick (Louise Jameson?). :twisted:

ruth1998
Living room

Post by ruth1998 »

Speaking of the music, you just triggered a great memory.

We'd sit on the couch and my brother pretended he was a janitor for a creepy rollercoaster ride. He told us that we could tell it was him walking around, by the keys on his belt. He then played the Dr Who vinyl we had ( I wonder if my parents still have it...) which was incredibly creepy for us children with vivid imaginations (still is creepy, come to think of it). It was night and he turned off all but one dim light. He would go into the kitchen and put a blanket over his head and a wisk or whatever as hands and come out like an alien. He was a good actor for a kid, I remember being scared witless!!! If you heard the record, you'd understand why we were utterly terrified!

I just watched "The Five Doctors" a month ago. I liked it, but it was too slow for my husband.

If you ever want to see a great episode of the new series, find "Blink". My sister screamed and jumped behind the couch at a few part, especially the end! And it has typical cheesy Dr Who aliens ;). It's a very well written episode. Alot of them are, which is why I mostly watch BBC.

Don't even let me get started with Top Gear (we have a huge poster of the Stig in our living room).
-You can''t stop my heart from turning inside out.