Kate Bush

New bands are welcome
RobB
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Kate Bush

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:It's the chorus, Rob! The bit where the voice so transcendantly seductive comes in!
Yeah, but it could be the final chorus, within the additional two minutes of the song. The original chorus's could still be similar to the original version. Remember the 12" version of Cloudbusting with the squeaky vocals? This sample reminds me of that remix a little bit.

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

you're lenient Rob, even if it happens just once in the song, it ruins it all, period. :shock:

Oh but I must add, as she's also revisiting The red shoes, I hope she did a better version of Constellation of the heart, the previous being almost a Prince's song with all that profusion of arrangements, erk. [disguise]
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I don't particularly like what i heard of that sample but i am hoping its just one small section of the song and was deliberately chosen to create a stir.

But being positive i'm sure there are lots of Stina songs which had i heard just a small extract of, i would have been unimpressed with.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote: Remember the 12" version of Cloudbusting with the squeaky vocals? This sample reminds me of that remix a little bit.
I can't think what vocals you mean, Rob. :?:

I loved the 12" version of Cloudbusting, but I haven't heard it for years. Do you mean those weird harmonic voices on the 'you're making rain' line at one point? I do recall those but they weren't anything like this Metal Mickey thing on the new clip. They were just speeded up and pitch-shifted, it was still recognisably Kate's voice.

My favourite bit of that mix was the intro, with the 'ruum! rumm!' male voices building up with the drums to this massive sound, and then it all stopped and Kate's childlike voice floated out in stillness. Fantastic moment. ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Franck wrote:you're lenient Rob, even if it happens just once in the song, it ruins it all, period. :shock:
I have to agree Franck, it just makes what was a really beautiful chorus into a laughing stock. Such a shame. When Kate gets it wrong she gets it really, really wrong. [b)]

Looking back I wonder if she wouldn't have been better off quitting after The Sensual World, her last good album. The Red Shoes was fairly awful by her standards, Aerial has maybe two songs worthy of her and the rest is mediocre at best. Lyra was pretty but nothing special. Now this. Such a strange decision as well, to go back and rework those two albums. TSW didn't need it and TRS is probably beyond help. :D
Oh but I must add, as she's also revisiting The red shoes, I hope she did a better version of Constellation of the heart, the previous being almost a Prince's song with all that profusion of arrangements, erk. [disguise]
I think a lot of her fans are hoping she does that with Why Should I Love You, the main song that Prince put his stamp on. Personally I like his version better, having heard Kate's original demo which was awful. I was actually quite impressed that Prince managed to make what he did of it!

Well it'll certainly be interesting to hear the results of these revisions, but if I was still a huge Kate fan now I think I'd be quaking in my boots at what might be to come. Hopefully there won't be anything else quite as horrendous as the Deeper Understanding cock-up, anyway.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote: Do you mean those weird harmonic voices on the 'you're making rain' line at one point? I do recall those but they weren't anything like this Metal Mickey thing on the new clip.
Thats the part i meant....the 'helium' section. :mrgreen: I didn't mean to say that they sounded like the vocals on the Deeper Understanding sample though....just that the effect is similar....ie...overdubbing an additional vocal that is totally at odds with the vocal style of the original song.

Here's another 47 second sample:

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

blue wrote:I think a lot of her fans are hoping she does that with Why Should I Love You, the main song that Prince put his stamp on. Personally I like his version better, having heard Kate's original demo which was awful. I was actually quite impressed that Prince managed to make what he did of it!
My mistake. :I
I meant Why should I love you, haven't been listening to it for years, and didn't find the tape while I was searching today.
But if you say original version was awful, then no regret.

I have that same impression with the albums you mentioned, The sensual world was her last really good album, The red shoes has some good songs and some really feeble... Aerial, well... uninteresting, maybe?

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:
Thats the part i meant....the 'helium' section. :mrgreen: I didn't mean to say that they sounded like the vocals on the Deeper Understanding sample though....just that the effect is similar....ie...overdubbing an additional vocal that is totally at odds with the vocal style of the original song.
Ah right, I get you. Well I kind of see what you mean, but for me what she's done to Deeper Understanding goes way beyond adding an interesting harmonic - she's substantially altered something that didn't need it, IMHO.
Here's another 47 second sample:
I'm still not able to access youtube Rob so I can't check it out, but I had a read of the reaction on the Kate board at unforumzed and there seems to be a more positive response to this longer clip, particularly with regard to Kate's new vocal, because of the added depth and richness to her voice these days. I must say that's the only way in which I think Kate has improved since the 80s, her voice is absolutely yummy now. ^

Still, from what I heard on the orginal clip I really don't like what she's done to the song instrumentally/soundwise either, the space is all gone and the new drums don't have the character of the original. Putting that together with the Metal Mickey vocoder, the song is pretty much destroyed for me.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Franck wrote: My mistake. :I
I meant Why should I love you, haven't been listening to it for years, and didn't find the tape while I was searching today.
But if you say original version was awful, then no regret.
Well that's just my opinion Franck, her fans mostly seem to love it. Rob can probably give you a link to the demo so you can check it out yourself. I thought it was dreadful, meandering and tuneless and the vocals were really bad. I think Prince did an amazing job to rescue it and turn it into the album version.

I have that same impression with the albums you mentioned, The sensual world was her last really good album, The red shoes has some good songs and some really feeble... Aerial, well... uninteresting, maybe?
Yeah, I think the early 90s was where she really lost it - her previously excellent creative judgement seemed to go right out the window at that point. Aerial for me was just very amateurish and mediocre. She seemed completely stuck in the 80s soundwise, but without any of the imagination and creative intelligence that marked her 80s work.
Last edited by blue on Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Beth,
you can here the new 47 second extract of Deeper Understanding herre:

http://www.katebushnews.com/

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I'm just getting a blank box on that link Rob, the site is prompting me to download the Flash player so presumably you need that to listen to the clip.

Has anyone made an mp3 of it, do you know?

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I've had a trawl around the net but all the links seem to be to go to youtube......i can't see any links to a basic mp3 sound sample unfortunately.

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

Here's a link to the mp3 version of the video I just converted: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8772461/kate-deeper-excerpt.mp3

Surprisingly good and different compared to the other extract that was on wikipedia.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Ooh, thank you Franck!

Hmm. All the atmosphere and warmth of the original is gone. I really don't like the dry sound or the drums. It's all a bit noodly. I'm not actually keen on the new vocal either to be honest, the breathy gentleness has been replaced by a more emphatic style that doesn't seem to suit the material.

Ah well, if nothing else it has made me remember how much I loved the original track, and indeed the whole Sensual World album. ^

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

New info has been released today on Kate's new album Directors Cut.

All the vocals and drums have been re-recorded, with three songs being completely re-recorded.
Guests on the new performances include Mica Paris & Steve Gadd.

The full version of the news digital only single Deeper Understanding is now available but i won't be able to listen to it til later on this evening.