Kate Bush

New bands are welcome
pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Kate Bush

Post by pgss »

There is an interview with Kate over at Pitchfork. She tells that this revisiting tracks is a one-off adventure. Apparantly she's already recording a new album since finishing the director's cut.

You can find the interview here:http://pitchfork.com/features/interview ... kate-bush/

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

Interesting article and I do love her interviews, a rare treat these days!

I tell you the downside to her adversity to digital recording is that even on full volume Director's Cut is very quiet on my iPod !!

And I really want to turn that fabulous bluesy take on Rubberband Girl all the way up!!!

I had heard there was a new album in the works, maybe she's found her creative spurt again! :mrgreen:
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I absolutely LOVE the new 'This Woman's Work', she's managed to make something quite different from the original without losing any of the poignancy. ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

What do you think of Director's Cut now it's been out for a while, Rob? I know you were looking forward to listening to the whole thing in the proper context, did it live up to your expectations?

I think it was probably worth doing as a project just for the reworkings of This Woman's Work and Moments of Pleasure, both of which are quite, quite lovely.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

blue wrote:I think it was probably worth doing as a project just for the reworkings of This Woman's Work and Moments of Pleasure, both of which are quite, quite lovely.
What with recent events i never really got into the album properly but i do agree with what you've said above. I quite like Rubberband Girl too. I think really this is an album i'm going to have to return to at a later date and rediscover all over again.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

So apparently there's going to be a new album in November, according to someone at EMI Australia? TWO KATE BUSH ALBUMS IN A YEAR?!!! :D

That hasn't happened since the 70s. Still, I guess Bertie must be in high school now so she's probably had more time on her hands to work.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

There is indeed a new album due on 21st November. 8)

Entitled '50 Words for Snow' it will feature seven tracks:

Snowflakes ( 9:55)
Lake Tahoe (11:26)
Misty (13:49)
Wild Man (7:03)
Snowed in at Wheeler Street (8:11)
50 Words for Snow (8:10)
Among Angels (6:55)

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I cannot wait for this, 2011 has been a great year for music so far! :mrgreen:
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

I like the general idea - long winter themed tracks sounds right up my street - but I'm concerned that it's gonna be the same sort of noodly stuff that made Aerial so dull. Hopefully there will be some instrumentation on this one that's not just the sort of standard band/80s-sounding keyboards she used for Aerial, she really needs to move on in her production and find some new textures. Really loving the winter theme though so fingers crossed.

Is anyone else a bit disturbed by that cover? The kiss seems a little more adult than one might hope a snowman would give a little girl. :shock: :D

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Is it a little girl, though?

It reminds me of that old joke-Two snowmen standing in a field and one says to the other 'Can you smell carrots?' :mrgreen: .

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

So, not only is Stephen Fry appearing on the new album [censor] but so are Andy Fairweather Low [censor] [censor] and Elton John [censor] [censor] [censor] .
Actually on reflection, make that [censor] [censor] [censor] [censor] for Elton.
Oh well, at least it isn't Bazza Manilow. :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

New single Wild Man is now available.

Have heard it about five times now and am really enjoying it. Especially like the 'exotic' instrumentation.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

Hmm. Kind of what I was afraid of, more mid-tempo band-and-dodgy-keyboard noodling. I don't understand what happened to her sense of adventure in production really, it's like she settled into middle age at 35 on The Red Shoes and just hasn't made any effort to move out of that rut.

It seems to be getting a very positive reaction on the Kate board at the Tori forum, I'm glad her fans are enjoying it but I guess it just confirms how much I've lost interest in her. The lyrics are terrible and the music is just bland.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

I think that whole sound started with Experiment IV which was 25 years ago now. I really like the rythmic flow of this new song......thats a great guitar riff being played throughout and Steve Gadd is an ace drummer.

I think maybe it will sit better within the confines of the album though. Its being released as a downloable single tomorrow which is another way of saying its not being released as a single at all. :mrgreen:

For now i'll settle on playing the YT version until i can buy the album in six weeks time.

Here's the 'full version':

http://disconaivete.com/post/11268806108

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

RobB wrote:I think that whole sound started with Experiment IV which was 25 years ago now.
That's an interesting observation Rob, I think you're right there - although EXP. IV still had some more adventurous touches, ie the fantastic violin and little vocal glitches, so maybe it was the point where she began leaving her more experimental early years behind and settling into this prolonged 'safe' phase.

She can do calm and atmospheric really beautifully when she tries, a la TWW on Director's Cut, so I'm hoping there might be at least one or two tracks on the album more in that vein. If so that'll do me nicely. ^