Song fixation

New bands are welcome
Franck
Living room
anti-spam: No

Re: Song fixation

Post by Franck »

Just discovered James Blake: what an album, what an artist! Very talented singer & musician & sound designer, his work on textures & frequencies is just astonishing. 8)

Good to hear again Sinead O'Connor, I should give a listen to her first albums (on tape for me).

About the obsessive song, here is my favorite these days:

"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Franck wrote:Just discovered James Blake: what an album, what an artist! Very talented singer & musician & sound designer, his work on textures & frequencies is just astonishing. 8)
Finally Frank, good to hear that there's someone here who's into James Blake too. :mrgreen:

I'm currently also hooked on an album called "Solo Piano" by Gonzales. I really adore the song Gogol.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

She was quite the hype last few months, but I like the album of Lana del Rey.

Videogames:

Born to Die:

And I listen to Azelia Banks new track 212. Really like that!

Analissa
Toilet

Post by Analissa »

I've seen her live a million times and this song is amazing.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

That is indeed nice Analissa.... I'm gonna investigate her.... ^

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

a new Tanita Tikaram album is on the way. The first single is called Dust On My Shoes, which I'm growing to love more and more:

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

The only songs I'm fixated on just now are the fifteen or so I'm learning for a Festival concert next weekend with my singing group.
Not tunes, mostly, but complex harmony parts which I have to memorise :think: :whistle: :pray:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Dave, how did the festival concert go? Hope it kept dry for you all?

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

It was great-and we were indoors (in a building that resembled the interior of a light blue Wedgwood teapot, beautiful)-so all was well. We got a rapturous reception!
I've had whooping cough since April 26th, so I was quite worried that my voice would hold out. Whooping cough comes and goes in paroxysms of coughing, which you can do precisely Zilch about-there's no cure. The Chinese call it the 100-day cough, so far I've clocked up over 80 days, so hopefully not much longer. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating and annoying.
I think by the end of the gig, a couple of loud numbers where I get the solo, I went for it and probably wrecked my voice completely. But today it feels OK.

I made a big 8-part arrangement of the old EWF number 'After the love has gone' for the gig (which we were sharing with a group from Devon). We weren't able to rehearse our parts together until the afternoon of the gig-but it came off triumphantly. It might well end up on YouTube sometime-I'll let you know.
There's a running joke amongst my friends that I knock off arrangements in 10 minutes or less, but this one took a lot of work (maybe 11 minutes :mrgreen: ). So that song has definitely been my earworm for the last few weeks.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

As I was reading your message I was going to ask you if your performances were being filmed and whether you could put them up on YT.......and apparently they were. It will be great to see them.

Just as well it was an indoor festival with the rotten weather we've been having. Anyway, glad it all went well and you enjoyed yourself and hopefully your cough will fizzle out in the next couple of weeks or so.

I'm reminded that many many year ago I had a chesty cough which lasted for around six months or so. Went to the quacks but he said i was fine and that it will go on its own accord. Anyway,it persisted and persisted and eventaully it was summer and i went down to Cornwall for my annual holiday. And after just two days by the sea,my cough went and never came back. Amazing that a change of air could quickly achieve what months of cough medicines couldn't.

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

Analissa wrote:

I've seen her live a million times and this song is amazing.

The band I'm in is named after her song "Malherido" :mrgreen:
Her album Un Día.. it's a masterpiece.
The video, not so much, but the song.. :lol:

@pgss - You really should get the 1991 EP by Azealia, it's fantastic.
Last edited by aermancer on Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

I have written about Siobhan Donaghy before on this board. Her album Ghosts is an classic popalbum in my opinion. But nowadays she back with the girls she started with in the Sugababes. But they can't call themselves Sugababes because there are three girls replacing the original members still operating under that name. Rather hilarious if you ask me.

Anyway I'm rather excited about the forthcoming album of Mutya Keisha Siobhan. They placed a video with a part of a new track online:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

pgss wrote:But nowadays she back with the girls she started with in the Sugababes. But they can't call themselves Sugababes because there are three girls replacing the original members still operating under that name. Rather hilarious if you ask me.
It's quite comical when that sort of thing happens. For a time (maybe it's still the case?) there were two Bucks Fizz's groups doing the rounds, both featuring one or two original members and claiming to be the 'official' version.

And a couple of weeks ago I went to see Think Floyd ( a 'you know who' tribute band) play live locally and the lead singer said from the stage "we've been told that we've played Colchester before but none of us can remember because none of us were in the band at the time." :mrgreen:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Dot Allsion has been around for some years now but I've only recently discovered her via her debut album, Afterglow.

Although not really representative of the album as a whole, I do like the simplicity and repetition of 'Message Personnel', which I find gently hypnotic.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

pgss wrote:
Anyway I'm rather excited about the forthcoming album of Mutya Keisha Siobhan. They placed a video with a part of a new track online:
Aha, fantastic!! How great to see them back together, not girls anymore but mature women who have obviously sorted out their differences. They sound gorgeous. Heidi must be worried. :mrgreen:

I hardly ever pay any attention to pop music these days but I will be waiting for this album. ^
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...