Through a Glass Darkly

Watched a good movie?
Hygge
Toilet
anti-spam: No

Through a Glass Darkly

Post by Hygge »

I watched this film again for the first time in 11 years. Does Stina Nordenstam's music remind anyone else of Ingmar Bergman films?

sound world
Bedroom

Re: Through a Glass Darkly

Post by sound world »

Welcome Hygge.

Sure, well it does for me anyway. Stina's basic outlook reflects that of Bergman, except that hers is much more personal, I'd say-she doesn't have Bergman's kind of Shakespearean sense, (a need to relate the personal experience to the universal).She doesn't particularly show the same kind of humanism, except rarely, eg in Jean-Claude.
When you see the film she made for Koop's 'Glomd' or the Dynamite video, the similarities in cinematic intent are very clear, and you could definitely say that Bergman was an influence, even though she hasn't, to my knowledge, explicitly stated that.
Perhaps that bleak despair is innate in the Swedish national psyche-or is that just a well-worn stereotype?
I'm trying to remember which one is 'Through a glass darkly'-is that the one on the island with Harriet Andersson going through a kind of mental breakdown? or is it the one with the Priest realising he's lost his faith? Well, anyway, amazing.

Hygge
Toilet

Re: Through a Glass Darkly

Post by Hygge »

Through a Glass Darkly is where Andersson has a mental breakdown. I think of Ingmar Bergman when I hear songs like "Alone at Night" (which is very, very Swedish sounding in song and spirit). I also think of Ingmar Bergman when I hear Another Story Girl, Crime, Murder in Maryland Park, The Man With the Gun, The World is Saved, I'm Staring Out the World, The Morning Belongs to the Night and Until.

I think Stina Nordenstam is the most Swedish artist in Sweden because her music evokes so much of that country. And it seems to share cinematic qualities of Swedish films.