A Stina Stockholm anecdote

A place dedicated to the work of Stina Nordenstam
Blown_A_Wish
Hallway
anti-spam: No

A Stina Stockholm anecdote

Post by Blown_A_Wish »

Hi!
I hope this is fine to post on this messageboard since I don't think that it infringes on Stina's privacy as such since it's so long ago, but that it's something worth sharing:

Anyway, I've been a Stina fan for years, and last April I was in Sweden visiting for a couple of weeks. (I'm from Sweden but have lived in Ireland since 2004). My mum and I decided to go to Stockholm for a couple of days to have a look around and also attend a Strindberg play at the Royal Dramatic Theatre.

I am an avid record collector, so if I see a music shop, especially of the old, nowadays all too rare browser-paradise kind I like to check it out. Anyway, mum and I stayed in an area of town called Kungsholmen, bordering on Vasastan. Vasastan is a lovely area where, notably children's book author Astrid Lindgren used to live, it's got a neighbourhood feel similar to Prenzlauer Berg in Berlin; close enough to the city centre but pretty quiet with neighbourhood cafes and many green areas.

Anyway, we decided to go for a stroll in the lovely spring weather, and suddenly mum pointed out a record store to me, since she knows how much I like browsing for music. It was kinda off the beaten track, pretty small. When in there I browsed the vinyl crates and found 'The sensual world' by Kate Bush and decided to buy it. But just as I was about to go to the counter I looked up and saw 'Memories of a colour' in a display pocket on the wall. The vinyl was 30 euros but I just couldn't resist getting it so I asked to have it taken down for me.

Then the shop assistant guy asked me if I was a Stina fan and I said yes. He said so is he and he then went on to tell me that Stina herself used to shop there a lot around the time when she was working on the 'This is' album. She used to come into the shop every week and buy and trade albums, mostly punk stuff according to him, she'd get one thing and trade it for something else. She also used to talk to him about how the work on the album progressing and about ideas that she had. At one point she had decided to put out two versions of the album; one version with a DVD with art videos for each song and one regular version. In the end she scrapped the first idea, but a handful of copies of the video disc had already been made so she gave the record store guy one of them as a gift. He told me it's his most treasured part of his Stina collection and one that he's not willing to sell. (I also believe some of these DVDs have been much coveted collectors items online?).
He also told me a very funny anecdote of how one time, when Stina was in the shop, an unassuming customer came up to the counter and enquired about a Stina Nordenstam album and Stina bent down and put her hand in front of her face to hide and the shop guy played along with her and of course made sure not to blow her cover, while the customer of course never got to know that the elusive ms Nordenstam had been in the shop at the same time!
I then asked him if he knows what she's up to these days or if she still comes in to the shop, but he said no, after 'This is' was released she stopped coming in and he doesn't even know whether she lives in Stockholm these days. To him it seemed like a phase for her, she went to the shop a lot, shared the stories of the album-making with him and then vanished completely as soon as it was made.
I thought it was cool to hear the story anyway and he went down into the basement and fetched a handful of CD singles to show me as well. I ended up buying Lori Glori for 10 euro but the others were a bit pricey and could be got cheaper online (I subsequently bought a few of them on ebay), but he said if I want to check whatever Stina stuff he gets in in the future I could contact him again.
He seemed like a really nice guy, a genuine fan, but also by being a genuine fan there were no bargains to be had since he knew exactly how rare these items are and how much he could get for them. I loved hearing his story though and the MOAC vinyl is exquisite.

On another note; I was in Dublin a couple of weeks ago and rooted through a 'new arrivals crate' in a record store and found the 'Dynamite' 12" promo single for only 4.99 euros! I couldn't believe my luck, but then again, those kind of bargains can only be had when people don't know the value of what they're selling ;)

Ok, that's all for now!

pgss
Bedroom

Re: A Stina Stockholm anecdote

Post by pgss »

Welcome aboard here! It is a bit silent but a story like yours roars things up a bit. Thanks for sharing that on the forum.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

What a wonderful first post.....thank you for taking the trouble to share your info with us. :)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Yes, a great addition, thank you!
But the mystery of 'where is Stina now and what's she doing?' continues...

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

Thanx a lot for that post and welcome here. :)
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

sound world wrote:But the mystery of 'where is Stina now and what's she doing?' continues...
Maybe we'll find out in twelve years time? 8) :mrgreen:

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

That's a great story! Welcome to the board, hope you'll post again. 8)
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

Blown_A_Wish
Hallway

Post by Blown_A_Wish »

Thanks for the welcome and glad to be bringing something new to the board, despite still not being able to figure out the BIG question: where Stina is now and what she's up to... ;)

I really hope we'll hear from her soon, who knows, she might do a 'My Bloody Valentine' and go "My album will be out in two or three days" and then take us all by surprise! ;)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Blown_A_Wish wrote: where Stina is now and what she's up to... ;)
All we really know as its been varified from a well informed external source is that Stina was well into recording a follow up album to 'The World is Saved',again with David Ostenberg, when she suddenly........stopped, for a non-specified reason. We also know that she suffered a very bad fall that incapacitated her for some considerable time although thankfully she did make a full recovery. But whether this was linked with the ending of the recording sessions is not known as the time frame is unknown.

Of pure speculation is that she's become a mother (which isn't difficult to believe, and was actually briefly touched upon by Stina in the interview you transcribed) and is now devoting all her time at home raising her child/children.

Another related mystery is where her sister Emma is now? She has also fallen totally off the radar these last few years or so. :?

Blown_A_Wish
Hallway

Post by Blown_A_Wish »

Thanks for the update on what's actually known, I had no idea about the fall or the fact that a follow up was underway but abandoned...
It's weird when you think about it, that we don't even know for sure whether she's got kids, I'm not even sure I'd even recognize her if she passed me in the street, despite being so into her music! She's succeeded pretty well in keeping that mystery I suppose... I wish her all the best whatever she's up to and I'm not too interested in probing into her private life anyway, but I would love to hear more music from her, given that The World Is Saved was such a masterpiece.

Once in 2007(?) I could almost swear I saw her at a Jenny Wilson gig here in Ireland. Jenny sang with The Knife before and is based in Stockholm and it's not entirely unlikely that they'd know each other. At the bar stood a slight girl dressed in tall vintage boots and a 60's style dress reminiscent of the The World Is Saved photo shoot, with shoulder-length hair. She stood alone and never spoke to anyone all night. I was dying to go up to get a closer look at her but didn't dare to for some reason and still today I wonder if it could have been her...probably wasn't though, but it's still not entirely impossible given that she was on her own all night, only watched the gig from the bar area, and it was a Swedish artist who she could technically know. Ok, I'll never find out so I might as well stop speculating ;) haha!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Blown_A_Wish wrote:Thanks for the update on what's actually known, I had no idea about the fall or the fact that a follow up was underway but abandoned...
Not sure that SN7 has been 'abandoned' as such although so much time has now passed since those sessions that I can't see Stina being that enthusiastic carrying on work on songs that must now feel very dated.

Stina is certainly well traveled so who knows, it could have been her that you saw in Ireland. A journalist once commented that had he not been introduced to Stina then he wouldn't have recognised her as she looked nothing like her publicity photos.......although that record shop manager obviously clocked her. :mrgreen: