sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

New music by Stina!!!!

Post by sound world »

Amazing news!

Just found this - http://www.gp.se/kulturnoje/1.2963071-f ... r-ny-skiva

Which roughly translates as (thanks Google):-

"Freddie Wadling is back. With the new single, solo album and a shorter tour in April.
It has been silent about Freddie Wadling after the singer with short notice by the autumn awaited reunion gig with the old cult band Cortex. But now it touches on again.
Today was released Freddie Wadling new single, It is not enough, the singer Stina Nordenstam's musical setting of Arseny Tarkovsky text. Håkan Hellström featured on vocals, Sebastian Öberg plays the cello, Christian Olsson percussion and Per "Ruskträsk" Johansson clarinet.
On 26 February, the album After the rain where several of the songs are said to be written directly to Freddie by Stina Nordenstam.
- There has been a dream come true to be working with Stina says Freddie Wadling in a comment on the album.

In April, making Freddie Wadling three concerts on April 1, he behaves in Stockholm, on April 3 at the Concert Hall in Gothenburg and April 8 in Malmo.
Listen to the new single here.
- See more at: http://www.gp.se/kulturnoje/1.2963071-f ... YZf7m.dpuf
(seems to lead to a car advert and nothing else)

RobB
Bedroom

Re: New music by Stina!!!!

Post by RobB »

Thanks for the info, Dave. :)

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like Stina is involved performance wise, and having Freddie sing a Stina song will just make it sound like a Freddie song. :(

Still, at least it sounds like these songs are relatively new and that Stina is back in creating mode, even if it is for someone else.

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

:shock: ^ :D

Almost back! What a news! Thanks Dave.
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

'The World Is Not Enough' sounds very much like an unused Stina song from the 'Jean Claude / The World Is Saved' sessions? :)

http://blogg.sydsvenskan.se/dygnetrunt/ ... r-i-malmo/

I'm assuming that 'The World Is Not enough' and the song 'It's Not Enough' are the same song? :?
Copied from another Swedish site:

After a period of silence is Freddie Wadling back. Soon, the singer released a new album and come to Malmö April 8 for a concert at Slagthusets Theatre.

Freddie Wadling has been named Sweden's best rock voice so often that it could be a portrait epithets, and if so, a much deserved such. Through the years he has played in bands like The Corpse live, Cortex, Leather Nun, Blue for two and Fläskkvartetten. The upcoming new album "After the rain" will be released on February 26 and contains a number of songs in Swedish where a number is written directly to Freddie by singer Stina Nordenstam.

"It has been a dream come true to be working with Stina" says Freddie about the album and there are already a taste of Spotify in the form of the song "It's not enough".

"It is not enough" is Stina Nordenstam's fine musical setting of Arseny Tarkovsky text. The song participates in addition to Freddie also Sebastian Öberg on cello, Christian Olsson on percussion and guitar, Per Johansson Ruskträsk clarinet and Håkan Hellström on vocals.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

'The World Is Not Enough' is a different song (in English!) from 2011, not by Stina - that site just added a Wadling video to the article. You can hear the Stina one on Spotify if you search for Freddie Wadling - Det är inte nog.

Link to Arseny Tarkovsky's original poem in English (and very Stina-ish it is too):-

http://www.brnrd.net/blog/archive/2012/ ... snt-enough

Arseny was the Father of Andrei Tarkovsky, one of the greatest of all film directors - (Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Solaris (the original), Mirror, Nostalgia, The Sacrifice, and Stalker - which has Arseny reading this poem on the S/T. Did I miss any?) Some of my all-time favourite films in that lot. ^

Some of the BVs in Freddie's version are a bit naff and poppy, and sometimes he sounds like some drunken old geezer down the pub.....What I would give to hear Stina making her own version. :|

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Oh,ok then, 'The World Is Not Enough' was inspired by Stina. :mrgreen:

'Solaris' is one of my all-time fave films too...........the remake that is. ^

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Without having to go via Spotify, 30 seconds of Freddie's new single can be heard here.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/det-ar ... 5646465132

I wonder who the female b/v is? :pray:

No doubt its not who I would like it to be? :doh:

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Freddie's new single,'Nu Lyfter Vi Fran Marten '. written by Stina. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0kCzc5 ... e=youtu.be

The video is directed by Adam Nilsson, who also directed the Jean Claude film.

edit: It seems it was actually Johan Soderberg who directed the promo with Adam Nilsson being involved in the filming?

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Great! I really liked that ... although it's strange to hear a song by Stina that's a) quite anthemic and b) seemingly very positive?

Beautiful video too.

Now all we need is someone to translate (including the banner!) STRMBRG? Blown-A-Wish?

Actually I stuck the banner words (Vimastevaga om det) into Google translate - 'We must talk about it'.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Bit of (Google translated) info here - https://translate.google.co.uk/translat ... rev=search

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Some more on the new single:

Swedish:
”Stina har en äkthet som är otrolig, en förmåga att se poesin i tillvaron. Hon berikar mig med sina texter och jag har alltid tyckt om henne. Men jag skulle nog inte klara att göra en hel platta med hennes material. Hon är alltför kompromisslös”, skriver Freddie Wadling i ett pressmeddelande.

English:
"Stina has an authenticity that is incredible, an ability to see the poetry in life. She enriches me with their lyrics and I've always liked her. But I probably would not be able to do a whole plate (album) of her materials. She is too uncompromising, "writes Freddie Wadling in a press release.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

According to one review, Stina has contributed to over half the songs on the album. 8-)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Yes I saw something which said '7' songs by Stina - and there was a tracklist (couldn't get any of them to play). One of them was 'Ensam pa havet', which she wrote for Monika Zetterlund.

And I just saw this: (Google translated from 'Svenska Dagbladet'):-

"Freddie Wadling has a large and loyal audience. Stina Nordenstam likewise. The two have collaborated before, but when he sings six songs of the enigmatic and reclusive artist gets maybe it still counts as a small music event. Even if it is just one of them, "Now we lift off the ground," which is newly written directly for the album.

Wadling sings well, he does always. The voice is relaxed, low key and naturally abundant: as if he had never sung themselves or even effort. It's a godsend, but it takes more than a personal voice to music should be engaging.

Hakan Hellstrom "Feel no sorrow" is a highlight. Hakan (which can be heard on one of the tracks) and Freddie are well known Gothenburg Profiles, moreover buddies, so it is not surprising that Wadling manages a modern classic like this. He goes a completely different way with a dimmed interpretation that opted out of the chin ecstatic favor of a slow and dense fervor. Amanda Werne, as the name SlowGold makes dreamy and easy psychedelic folk, it is the duet partners, as well as in the other tracks.

Traffic's "Paper Sun" is also a classic, but from the 60th century. Here, in a Swedish translation that does not stand comparison with the frantic original, even though it is liberating ösig with Per "Ruskträsk" Johansson haired flute.

Then we have a Peter Himmelstrand song, "All is forgotten," and one of Owe Thörnqvist, "When my friend." Both rooted in the 90's when many, Wadling included, thought it was a good idea to do dimmed gloomy covers of happy Svensktoppen songs. Today it feels not so.

Velvet Underground's "Sunday Morning", translated by Wadling, has got a soft cotton arrangements that removed all of the menacing sweet crude and primitive. Everything that is good with the original.

Remaining six Stina Nordenstam songs, one of them, "Here ends the map" (Har slarta kurtan), in another version on the album "The Dark Flower". In terms of content declared and depressed but sometimes with small glimmers of hope. As there still is the possibility that life can turn around and be something good. Composer of melancholic pop melodies and framed by a soft and sleepy production that sounds more in 1996 than in 2016.

"It is not enough" is a set music to lyrics by Arseny Tarkovsky, "Prayer of Spring" is a text of Harriet Löwenhjelm. "Alone on the Sea" was originally written for Monica Zetterlund while "All fall" is a translation of Nordenstam "On Falling ", from her album "The world is saved". Also, it is better in the original.
"

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

What with 'originally written for' and 'translation of', there doesn't appear to have been many truly new songs donated here?

Blown_A_Wish
Hallway

Post by Blown_A_Wish »

Hi!
I haven't been on here for a good while, so I came across the Freddie Wadling record in a pretty serendipitous way. I was doing an art residency in Norway for two months and watched a Swedish documentary about island youth building easter bonfires which was narrated by Freddie Wadling. Just before going back to reading Andrei Tarkovsky's autobiography 'Sculpting in Time', which I was reading at the time, I decided to google Freddie to see what he's up to these days as I hadn't heard anything about him for a few years. Then I realise that he has a new album out with songs written by Stina(!) and not only that, but she has put one of my fave Arseny Tarkovsky poems, which is in my book, to music. It was such a weird coincidence.

I have now translated the lead track from Freddie Wadling's album, 'Nu Lyfter vi från marken'. I might try and do some of the other ones later. I particularly like the lyrics of that one, especially when I hear them in Swedish, he puts a certain solemn weight to them that reminds me of Stina and that's why I can totally see why she wanted to work with him, which she has done in the past too. I couldn't find the lyrics transcribed anywhere so had to listen and transcribe them myself and then translate them.

NOW WE TAKE OFF FROM THE GROUND
It could be worse, it can always be worse, think of that.
If it is hard, it can always get better, think of that.
If the train has stopped it has only stopped at the terminus
it will be fine, now it can only get better, think of that
And just as you get used to it, just as you think you’ve learnt, it hits you
Just as you relax, gently relax, the sledgehammer hits
when your steps are assured, you step onto something that doesn’t hold
You think you are safe, but safe is something you never are

Now we take off from the ground, now we rise and rise
Held by all that’s easy, out for a while
now we take off from the ground and lean back
take the day as it comes, breath by breath

Who knows how many generations, who knows how many families before you
Who’ve felt like you do now, felt exactly like you do now
If one of them had given up, if one of them got fed up, only one
the family would have ended abruptly a long, long time ago
None of what they say about us is true, that’s not us
that’s not a description that we recognise ourselves in
Our lives were not at all meant to be industry
and does not easily lose all this depth and energy

Now we take off from the ground, like we always wanted to
we who thought all was over were given extra time
we got a refund on our taxes, got to inherit some friend we’d forgotten
warmed by the sun, cradled by the wind
held by spring all the way into summer.

---------------------------------
Original:
NU LYFTER VI FRÅN MARKEN
Det kunde vara värre, kan alltid vara värre, tänk på det.
Om det är svårt, kan det alltid bliva bättre, tänk på det.
Om tåget står still har det bara stannat till vid ändstation
det kommer att bli bra nu kan det bara bliva bättre, tänk på det.
Och just som man har vant sig, just som man tror man lärt sig, slår det till
Just som man slappnar av, försiktigt slappnar av slår släggan till.
När man har säkerhet i steget, tar steget ut på nåt som inte bär
Man tror att man är säker, men säker det är nåt man aldrig är

Nu lyfter vi från marken nu stiger vi och stiger
Och hålls för allting enkelt, ut ett tag
nu lyfter vi från marken och lutar oss tillbaka
tar dagen som den kommer, andetag för andetag

Vem vet hur många led, vem vet hur många släkten före dig
Man känns som du gör nu, man känt precis som du gör nu
om nån av dem lagt ned, om någon av dem tröttnat, bara en
hade släktet slutat tvärt, för länge, länge sen.
Inget som dem säger om oss är sant, det är inte vi
det där är ingen bild som, vi känner igen oss i
vårt liv var inte alls tänkt som industri
och tappar inte lätt all denna tyngd och energi

Nu lyfter vi från marken som vi alltid velat göra
vi som trodde allt var kört fick bonustid
vi fick tillbaks på skatten, fick ärva någon vän vi glömt
värmda utav solen vaggade av vinden
hållna utav våren ända in i sommaren