Siobhan Donaghy

New bands are welcome
aermancer
Bathroom

Re: Siobhan Donaghy

Post by aermancer »

Does anyone have Givin' In, Man on a Mission, Don't Take Me Back, Crimes of Passion, or any other Siobhan b-sides / rarities?

pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by pgss »

Siobhan is now playing Mimi in the musical Rent on WestEnd in London. They're doing some promotion for the musical on television and radio. I guess that Parlophone is hoping that the public will finally pick up the album now Siobhan is introduced to the more 'mainstream-public'.

Aeromancer, I have most of the b-sides. But I don't have the unreleased tracks.

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

fancy a quick upload for me? (i've already bought the expensive album as an import and i'd rather just ask for them here than go even more broke)

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Sad news: Siobhan has been dropped by Parlophone. After the last album flopped they have asked her to work on new tracks. Probably after hearing some demos the recordcompany backed out and have dropped Siobhan. [b)]

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

On a positive note, she has already had 2 new record deals offered to her, so fingers crossed this is only a bump in the road and not a dead end for her.

By the way I have 2 of the Siobhan b-sides, I have the 3 cd singles, Don't Give It Up and both So You Say's.
I dreamed of 747's, over geometric farms...

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Where did you get the news that she's already two new offers?

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

I have my reliable sources still within the MI... :wink:

aermancer
Bathroom

Post by aermancer »

that is a really big shame that she was dropped by Parlophone, I hope we don't have to wait another 4 years for an album now :(

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

Sadly it seems that the news that Siobhan Donaghy had been offered two new recorddeals was not true. The following message was posted on her official website by the webmaster.
siobhan donaghy wrote:Message to you and the fans

I'm sorry that this is the first thing anyone has heard from me in a while. I've been on the forum and the general consensus seems to be that I'm feeling down, but I'm feeling good. I'm feeling in control.

I think it would be an impossibilty for me never to make a record again. I just couldn't do that, but to say to the fans that I am actively working on a new album when I am not would be unfair.

One thing everyone has to realize is that being an underground leftfield artist used to pay the bills but in this age of the music industry, it is impossible. I'm not a kid anymore. I'm looking over the next few years to getting a house and having a family of my own. I need to pay the bills. It feels totally literating not to be beating down a record company door which another amazing album that they just yawn at. I get the feeling that we wouldn't have had the great music from the past if record company folk were such lazy idiots as they are so clearly now!

It's also an age for big brother, x factor, dancing on ice. You get my drift! I'm fighting a losing battle. People want scandal and addiction. They want a record thrown together in 2 weeks by 12 writers! I feel I need this to blow over. To see what the industry does next as ultimately the artists hold the power and good music will win through. The last thing I want to do now is write my best work for it to go underground!

I hope you understand and can go some way to explaining to the fans that i'm doing my best with bad situation and also that they ARE and have been the BEST part of my experience. Also, I'm not and never could be a celebrity. I'm just a regular girl finding my way and making mistakes.

I'm writing with some of my old crew on their projects just for fun at the moment.

Most importantly, as soon as I figure out what the next album is... I will make it. Ghosts took me 3 years to figure out the direction!

Sending lots and lots of love

Siobhan x

d.a.walker
Bathroom

Post by d.a.walker »

She got offered a deal from the same label as Sophie Ellis-Bextor, it seems that they obviously wanted to do to her what they did to Sophie, turn her into a plastic pop princess. Kudos to Siobhan though, she has the integrity to walk away from that. The other deal must have been on similar terms too. :(

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Its funny,I very nearly posted that website message here the other day (having first seen it ona Kate Bush message board) but I never got around it. The purpose though was because it struck me that certain things that Siobhan was saying could easlily have been said by Stina!!

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

d.a.walker wrote:She got offered a deal from the same label as Sophie Ellis-Bextor, it seems that they obviously wanted to do to her what they did to Sophie, turn her into a plastic pop princess. Kudos to Siobhan though, she has the integrity to walk away from that. The other deal must have been on similar terms too. :(
Yes, it is indeed very courageous to choose not to make music when it's not on her own terms. But like she said: the bills need to get paid. It may mean that she's heading for a different career and may not be active in music again. Her shortlived career as musicalstar can't be revived in these economically troubled times either. Most shows on broadway and west-end are cancelled because of the lack of visitors.

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

RobB wrote:Its funny,I very nearly posted that website message here the other day (having first seen it ona Kate Bush message board) but I never got around it. The purpose though was because it struck me that certain things that Siobhan was saying could easlily have been said by Stina!!
Luckily our Stina took the release of albums in her own hands. Beside that: Stina actually sold some albums. Every album before The World Is Saved has at least sold 50.000 copies, ASCHE even sold 125.000 copies. In Siobhan's case both her soloalbums have sold around 5.000 copies. Not enough to save some money for funding a selfreleased new album. And the money from the first sugababesalbum sadly was all spent in legal battles with former managers and recordcompanies.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

Paul,
if you havn't seen it before,this might be of interest? :)

www.we7.com/#/magazine/essentials/siobhan-donaghy

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

I really wanted to share the following acoustic version of Overload with you. I love it.