Yay, off to...! :-)

Talk about everything here
pgss
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Re: Yay, off to...! :-)

Post by pgss »

Today I'm going to do something radical. I'm going to have a nonactive holiday. After years of holidays in scandanavia with lots of hiking, climbing and other activities, I'm going to sit down and do nothing but reading for a change. I'm off to Turkey for two weeks and will return in May.

Take care all, and if stina releases a new album in the mean time. Please save a spare copy for me.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

pgss wrote: I'm going to sit down and do nothing but reading for a change. I'm off to Turkey for two weeks and will return in May.
Old age catches up with us all,Paul. :mrgreen:
Hope you enjoy your relaxing holiday and come back all refreshed. :)

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

That sounds like my kind of holiday. 8)

Have a great time Paul, and don't forget the suncream!
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

RobB wrote:Old age catches up with us all,Paul. :mrgreen:
To proof I'm still young and fresh :!, I'll be going to New York tomorrow. [tup] So no posts for me for some time.

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Have fun!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

pgss wrote: I'll be going to New York tomorrow. [tup] So no posts for me for some time.
The internet hasn't reached New York yet evidently. :mrgreen:
Have a great time Paul :)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Time to resurrect this old topic,with 'summer' happening.(I can't remember a worse summer,....and this is England) :mrgreen:
So we're putting a brave face on it and going camping in the Lakes for ten days or so.I shall return,no doubt sodden but unbowed,later in August.
Enjoy your holidays!

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

If you're in the Windermere area do take one of the mountain goat trips......well worth the money.
Hope the sun shines and you have yourselves a great holiday.
....and no frightening the locals with your piano playing either. :mrgreen:

......and take planty of pics. :)

pgss
Bedroom

Post by pgss »

It's a bit silent here on the board. I guess everyone is on holiday.

I'll be off in a few days for a two week holiday. Not sure where we're going as we're going camping. Our main goal is to be there where the sun shines. :mrgreen:

alx5962
Bedroom

Post by alx5962 »

Holidays.... It's quiet everwhere.
At work, on the roads, here...

Have a nice time while camping.
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Had a great time in the Lakes but all overshadowed by some terrible news we got while climbing Helvellyn-one of our friends,the Mum of my son's best friend,had taken her own life after battling depression all summer,feeling that she was no use as a mother. Two weeks ago we were at WOMAD with their family and she seemed fine-but you just can't tell,can you. She leaves her loving husband and her two lovely boys,13 and 10.
Really awful,and we're all deeply shocked.We cut short our holiday to come back and see what we can do to help and support the family. Even though I know what it's like to lose a parent when young,it's not the same as suicide,and I can't imagine what it's going to be like for the boys,let alone Dad.

RobB
Bedroom

Post by RobB »

How is your son,Dave? It must have been a big shock for him since he would have known his friends mother.
Its a terrible tragedy for everyone,not just because so many people are affected but also there's always going to be that lingering feeling that maybe her suicide could/should have been avoided.

blue
Bedroom

Post by blue »

What a dreadful catastrophe for the family. Poor boys. Their mum must have been in psychological agony to feel that leaving them was the better option. My heart just goes out to anyone in that state, particularly a mother.

Dad is going to have to be very strong indeed now to get his sons through it. He'll need all the emotional and practical support he can get.
Ice, you were the one most tender with the rivers.
You, the roof of the waves, layer after layer after layer ...

Franck
Living room

Post by Franck »

I can't say much but how sad it is, and how I can hardly imagine how a mother is able to commit suicide, leaving a family like that... as Beth said :
"Their mum must have been in psychological agony to feel that leaving them was the better option"
:(
"quand les mouettes ont pied, il est temps de virer" (dicton de marin breton)

sound world
Bedroom

Post by sound world »

Today is the funeral-10 days after it happened. We're still reeling from it. It just seems so senseless and sad. Plenty of people are offering support to the family,including us. They have so much to deal with,now and forever. It's evidently incredibly rare now for a woman with family to commit suicide,and there's a terrible statistic that around 75% of children whose parent(s) committed suicide are likely to develop severe depression later in life.So unfair...
RobB wrote:How is your son,Dave? It must have been a big shock for him since he would have known his friends mother.
Its a terrible tragedy for everyone,not just because so many people are affected but also there's always going to be that lingering feeling that maybe her suicide could/should have been avoided.
He's OK actually-I think he's gone into some kind of mode where he can handle it-a self-defence,maybe,since it's completely outside his experience.Plus he's quite busy this week doing a theatre summer school where he's landed a lead role.He hasn't yet seen his mate,although we are trying to get them together.That will make a difference when the reality comes home to him a bit more,and I think it will actually be really good for him to develop the feeling/caring side of his personality.
Yes,we've all been thinking 'what could we have done/said?' but also realising that to some extent there's nothing you can do if someone is set on it-plus potential suicides are apparently very good at concealing their real mood.We have thought back and remembered little seemingly insignificant things she said which now seem loaded with horror. But it's all too late and there's little point dwelling in what might have been.
What is maybe more important is that she had actually been taken into a high-risk unit earlier in the summer,and then been allowed to leave,and you have to ask if they were at fault in taking their attention off her or giving her the wrong treatment.She had evidently made two attempts a few months ago.
blue wrote:What a dreadful catastrophe for the family. Poor boys. Their mum must have been in psychological agony to feel that leaving them was the better option. My heart just goes out to anyone in that state, particularly a mother.

Dad is going to have to be very strong indeed now to get his sons through it. He'll need all the emotional and practical support he can get.
We're wondering if there was perhaps something in her own past from the time where she was a similar age to her children that made her convinced that she was going to be no more use as a mother once they were approaching puberty. Maybe it will come out. Meanwhile Dad is trying to be upbeat,celebrating her life if possible-which is a good attitude,but of course he has to be able to grieve and there are going to be loads of conflicting emotion he has to feel,and be allowed to feel.
It all leaves a huge mess. Yes ,she must have been in psychological agony,but also she must also have gone over some edge which the rest of us thankfully don't get too close to.
All terribly sad but interestingly, my net feeling since has been to enjoy life and celebrate it. Just before we got the news,I'd been spending too much time mooning over the past,and it's completely broken that spell for me.My own family has got a lot closer,realising how precious some things are. :D