UK : #1 in culture

Talk about everything here
alx5962
Bedroom

UK : #1 in culture

Post by alx5962 »

"The Italians have Michelangelo, the French Moli?re and the Germans Beethoven. But, according to an Italian survey, the British - the beer-swilling, tabloid-reading, supposedly sports-crazy British - are more cultured than any of them.

They go to more concerts, films, plays, galleries and libraries than almost anyone in Europe. They even manage to visit more ruins and monuments than the Italians.

But the one area where they lag behind the other major nations of Europe is sport. More French, Italians and Spanish than British go to a course or stadium.

But the British are sportier than the Germans and, proportionately, attendances are above the average for the former European Union of 15 states."
I believe in your smile everyday
But I know that you're far from my way
When I talk to the moon I can hear you
In the dark I can see, I can feel your light

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

...but of course.... ^
Actually if that's true,I'm glad i don't live in the rest of Europe...
But i don't believe it. :shock:

iieee2
Toilet

Post by iieee2 »

that'll be true for the middle class brits, but def not the majority who are working class methinks.

also i think save the germans, the brits read a lot more books than the rest of europe.

it's so cool to live in london:)

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

I do think that the BBC brings a lot more culture on tv than the tv channels in the Netherlands do; but then there's pretty much of that on German public channels as well. It bothers me that we don't get arte on cable here anymore, but then again, i haven't had cable for two months... :(

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

hmm, i got this today in my email ;) but it was sent to me by someone from wales, so don't blame me! :)

Only in Britain...

Only in Britain... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.
Only in Britain... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.
Only in Britain... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a DIET coke.
Only in Britain... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.
Only in Britain... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.
Only in Britain... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.
Only in Britain... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

NOT TO MENTION...
3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.
142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.
58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers
31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.
19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.
British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after cracker pulling accidents.
101 people since 1999 have had broken parts of plastic toys pulled out of the soles of their feet.
18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.
A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two years after opening bottles of beer with their teeth.
8 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.

And finally......... In 2000 eight Brits cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the toilet.

RULE BRITANNIA!!

sound world
Bedroom
anti-spam: No

Post by sound world »

Yes that sounds much more like us!!
Without Rob and Bluesy here,I feel a bit lonesome as a Brit!!
The thing about the BBC doesn't wash by the way.British TV is total trash by now,along with everyone else,I guess.

fog
Kitchen

Post by fog »

Have you ever watched Greek or Cyprus TV?
If yes, then you must be glad you're still alive and sake! :D
It's full of reality shows, any time of the day! Plus the news in the evening don't show mostly what's happening to the rest of the country or the globe, BUT things like "Who won the Oscar", "Which singer had the most plastic surgery on her face", "Which lady wore the same dress with another one in the opening of the most trendy club", etc...
Also, we don't get MTV anymore, but as far as i know it has become into a big crap! The only music channel we get is the Greek MAD TV which is the worse ever, i don't think there is something more decadence than this! [crazy]
No documentaries, no good films, no music, just crap, crap, crap!!!
In a sort of kind of way i feel like boycotted from the rest of Europe especially... :V
Reality is a personal choice

Kitchen

Post by * »

sound world wrote: The thing about the BBC doesn't wash by the way.British TV is total trash by now,along with everyone else,I guess.
i listen to a lot of bbc radio 4. that seems to still be top notch!

wirbel
Bathroom

Post by wirbel »

i think the european union should pass a law that everybody should at least get a view (public) channels from other european countries; how are we ever to integrate otherwise? it's sad to hear that in greece they basically only get greek tv. And in France probably only french tv, like in Germany only German tv. I'm glad we get so many foreign channels here in the netherlands and people actually watch them too. I also think it's great that a channel like ARTE broadcasts in two languages. We should get that more!

Kitchen

Post by * »

wirbel wrote:... in Germany only German tv. ...
not quite true - in d?sseldorf i had ARTE (french-german), VARA-3 (dutch), BBC world (UK) and TVT (turkish!). but that was on cable. otherwise you have just 4 channels.

fog
Kitchen

Post by fog »

wirbel wrote:i think the european union should pass a law that everybody should at least get a view (public) channels from other european countries; how are we ever to integrate otherwise? it's sad to hear that in greece they basically only get greek tv.
If you wanna watch foreign TV here you have to pay about 40 Euros per month and i find it really stupid to pay to have foreign channels!
Even though cable or satellite channels; i think that some kind of law for the whole EU would be something really good!
I only feel connected with the rest of Europe every May...In the European Song Contest! :D
Reality is a personal choice